ISP?

Can anyone suggest a good ISP to host my zenphoto system.
Ionos (ex 1and1) do not allow setup.php to be executed.

Any advice gratefully received.
TIA

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

Ionos at least over here in Germany would be a suitable host although I would not pick it. What is the actualy problem with setup? Zenphoto runs on fairly standard hosts.

• When I run setup.php in a browser I get a 404 File not found error message.

When I run setup.php in a secure shell I get:-

/zenphoto/zp-core$ ./setup.php
    ./setup.php: line 1: ?php: No such file or directory
    ./setup.php: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token dirname' ./setup.php: line 2:require_once(dirname(FILE) . '/admin-globals.php');'

Ionos support say that I need root permissions and this is not allowed on a shared server.

Can you confirm that you really have installed everything correctly and that these files really exists? Both setup.php and admin-globals.php should be within zp-core. Otherwise re-download and re-install.

Also

• make sure that you are not using PHP 8 as ZP 1.5.9 is not compatible yet (as noted on the requirements). Use PHP 7.4 instead for now.
    • Review your PHP error log
  • Thanks for your help, but the problem is definitely Ionos!
    I have checked all files exist with correct permissions - same problem.

I then tried uploading to a different Ionos site, and the Zenphoto installation begins without a problem!

So, Zenphoto cannot be installed on my Ionos "Pro" contract, but can be installed on my Ionos "1&1 Unlimited Pro" contract.

Beware also, the Unlimited contract was set up back in 2016, and Ionos may have changed this in the meantime!

That's really weird… So the newer account does not work but the older does? Please review logs (zp-data for ZP's own, there is a setup.log and a debug.log). There must be some reason for this.

Btw, just after you reported I got an issue with a Strato webspace (belongs to Ionos/1and1 over here) where the database credentials don't work although they are correct according to their backend. Never had this with any other host…

• Thanks for your help - in fact the error was entirely mine!!!

I had placed the zenphoto directory in the wrong place, and in a rush of blood to the head (or wine to the stomach) I wasn't precise enough in my checks when trying to identify the problem.

This was compounded by Ionos support telling me it was a root permissions problem, but I should have known better.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Regards

Frank

No problem, such things happen! Good it was easily solved after all.