Translating zenphoto into Finnish, language doesn't change

Hi,

I decided to translate the Zenphoto into Finnish but for some reason I cannot get the language to change. It changes to German alright but when I try to change it to Finnish, nothing happens. I'm propably doing something wrong here.

My Zenphoto version is: 1.1.6 [1550]

This is what I did:
- dublicated the de_DE-folder
- renamed it to fi_FI -folder
- opened the zenphoto.po file from the fi_FI-folder with Poedit
- changed the info from settings from Germany and German to Finland and Finnish (Country/Language), left the charset to utf-8
- started to translate, saved the file over the zenphoto.po in fi_FI\LC_MESSAGES-folder
- changed the language from Gallery Configuration to fi_FI to check the changes (Zenphoto is running on my localhost-server).

--> Nothing happened, language stayed in English. When I changed it to de_DE, it worked like charm. Changed it back to fi_FI, nothing happened.

I must be missing something here. Anyone knows what I did wrong?

- Tuomas

Comments

• I took the German translations away from de_DE-folder and copied my Finnish translations (zenphoto.po and zenphoto.mo from fi_FI/LC_MESSAGES/-folder) into it. Then I changed the language to de_DE and the language still changed into German instead of Finnish.

Is it the .mo-file what's causing this?
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    Could you please try the nightly build, since the localization feature is kind of beta status in 1.1.6 and we corrected a few things.

Could you please also open a language ticket for Finnisch on trac (even if you are not finished, but so others see it's in the works), assign it to yourself and accept it (if you wish to maintain it).
    Then please attach your file to it, so that we can check if we can reproduce it. (and maybe you want to sign into our translation google group, too). Thanks.

Finnisch would be a great addition!
  • Hi tuomashoo. I have same problem. I´m using local installation of Xampp 1.6.6 + ZenPhoto version 1.1.6 [1779]. When I try change language from EN to SK or CZ in FIREFOX nothing happens. But in IE everything works well. I´m not able specified more details, maybe some problem with server configuration or bug.
  • acrylian Administrator, Developer
    I am sorry, I also can't reproduce this on MAMP with Mac OS X.
  • You need to use poedit as described in the tutorial: http://www.zenphoto.org/2008/05/translating-tutorial/

You can read the following there:
    Zenphoto gets the translation terms itself from a .mo-file (machine object file). This file is binary and contains either the original text and the translation. But the actual file to translate is a .po-file (portable object file).