My update for Paradigm theme

2»

Comments

• acrylian Administrator, Developer

I think the dynamic album way is the best and most flexible. That way you can "pick" the images via a specific tag without having to create duplicates.

The uploaded folder is not really a good way IMHO because it is outside the general management and image processing is way more complicated.

• Hi @kuzzzma,

thanks a lot for your answer. In the meantime I finished my work on restructuring my webpage and came to the final design.

Also, now my page has a logo and and favicon.ico.

The second option looks perfect to my. I created myself an auxilary folder, that contains pictures, I use in blogs and docu pages like this one: https://spottair.de/gallery/pages/About-me/ Of course, I don't want those picture to show up in any album. So - your second option would fit best. Would be great if you could enable this option.

Thanks again for your great work.

I don't want those picture to show up in any album.

But if the album is unpublished, it wil not show up for any normal visitor.

• kuzzzma Member

@ChristianS

yes, I use images from uploaded folder in the same way - sometimes you need images for pages/blog posts that just make no sense in the main gallery, so I think that option to populate slideshow from uploaded folder can be useful - for example, to create promo-pictures for events or slides akin to presentation, this opens up possibilities..

You can unpublish them so they are not in the "main gallery". Using a specific album has lots of benefits as you have ways to enter titles, descriptions and also ordering them (unless you use a dynamic album of course).

We generally consider the albums as a kind of "media library" and will do so in the future. That just to note ;-)

But of course do as it fits your purpose!

• Hi @acrylian,

let's step back for one moment. The paradigm theme is able to show images from every album you select in the setup. Unfortunately, and there is no config option to do different, the theme always shows images aligned top/left. Or lets say, starting at pixel 0. On the other hand, the area, that show the image has a diffenrent ratio, a little bit like 32:9. Therefore, and of course it is because of my motives, the planes are cut, or only parts are shown. Must of the slideshow images will show the sky :-( That does look professional.

Because of that, I created a series of pictures, that can be used by the slide show, to work around that alignment topic. But those pictures are just a few special ones, I want to hide from my gallery. At that moment, I figured out, that images from unpublished folders can't be shown.

At the moment, I help myself here, with burrying down the special folder in my Gallery ;-)

Sure, but what you describe is a matter of the theme and slideshow setup – respectively the CSS setup – and not really if the images are from an album or not. More flexibility you always have with custom made stuff, themes are always a litte general naturally.

Anyways, whatever works for you!

• kuzzzma Member
    edited March 16

@ChristianS

On the other hand, the area, that show the image has a diffenrent ratio, a little bit like 32:9. Therefore, and of course it is because of my motives, the planes are cut, or only parts are shown.

If presentation is your major concern - it can be easily adjusted via custom CSS rules for the slideshow.

How-to:

1. In /css folder of Paradigm theme files there is a file "! rename-to-custom.css", it's empty out of the box.

2. You add custom CSS rules to override current CSS, then rename it to "custom.css" and upload to Paradigm theme /css folder on your server

3. To adjust height of your slideshow to better suit aspect ratio of your photos you need to specify height for 2 classes:

.carousel-inner {
      height: 200px;
      }

.carousel-inner > .item {
      height: 200px;
      }

You might have to play around with actual number for height, to find a right fit.

This file "custom.css" is already linked in the theme and won't be overwritten by future theme updates, so it can be used to completely change theme look and feel.

edited March 16

@kuzzzma: Still the file is in danger on upgrade if FTP clients may overwrite the whole theme folder content on upload. You could implement a "real" custom.css file within and outside the theme easily:

Plain draft is this:

$theme = getCurrentTheme();
     $css = SERVERPATH . '/' . THEMEFOLDER . '/' . internalToFilesystem($theme) . '/custom.css';
     if (file_exists($css)) {
        $css = WEBPATH . '/' . THEMEFOLDER . '/' . $theme . '/custom.css';
      } else {
        $css = WEBPATH . '/' . ZENFOLDER . '/' . PLUGIN_FOLDER . '/yourthemename/custom.css';
        }
      // load the custom.css after the standard css

Some plugins use similar but actually we have an simple API for that:

$customcss_filepath = getPlugin('custom.css', true, true);
     // load the custom.css here after the standard css

https://docs.zenphoto.org/1.6.2/namespaces/default.html#function_getPlugin

The name getPlugin() is quite misleading as it actually means getPluginFile - just realized that and will rename it with the next release – and refers to any file within a plugin or the current theme (2nd parameter) as themes are technically a special kind of plugin.

• kuzzzma Member

@acrylian
    Paradigm theme has no file "custom.css" amongst distributed files, only "! rename-to-custom.css".

This way if user uploads whole folder with theme upon upgrade, their custom.css won't be affected, they will only upload empty "! rename-to-custom.css" to their css folder and it's not hooked into head section of the theme, only "custom.css" is (with address specific to Paradigm theme).

I consider this way to be pretty safe in regards to potential mistakes.

Still there is the danger of overwriting. My FTP client usually either updates/adds files not existing or overwrites the folder content with all contents.

Anyway, I just guided to the "offiical" way to do this ;-)

• kuzzzma Member

A big update to my fork of Paradigm theme: current version is 1.5 .

Link to latest version is always available here: https://www.blog.private-universe.net/web-and-tech/zenphoto-theme-paradigm/

Changes:

• Reworked all Options groupings and settings.
    • Fixed Lightbox pop-up with image previews in Albums, Archive, Search etc.
    • Links to Lightbox previews were assigned with rel=”nofollow” to exclude generated links to preview images from indexing.
    • Added option to disable usage of Lightbox previews.
    • Option to choose custom text for Gallery link in Main Menu (it’s also used in Footer menu and Sidebar panel).
    • Option to choose custom text for News link in Main Menu (it’s also used in Footer menu and Sidebar panel).
    • Option to choose custom text for Pages header in Sidebar navigation panel.
    • Options to choose when to display Album Menu in Sidebar (multi-choice: Gallery, News, Pages, Archives).
    • Options to choose when to display News Categories Menu in Sidebar (multi-choice: Gallery, News, Pages, Archives).
    • Options to choose when to display Pages Menu in Sidebar (multi-choice: Gallery, News, Pages, Archives).
    • Change of CSS for Albums, News Categories & Pages Menu navigational panels in Sidebar from id=”nav-local” to class=”nav-local”.
    • Option to specify number of levels of Album menu to display in Sidebar (for Gallery; News, Pages, Archives use “Top-level only” setting).
    • Option to specify number of levels of News Categories Menu in Sidebar (used for Gallery, News, Pages, Archives).
    • Option to specify number of levels of Pages Menu in Sidebar (used for Gallery, News, Pages, Archives).
    • Fixed font-size calculation for Popular Tags cloud in Sidebar.
    • Option to display Image Caption above or below Image on Image Page.
    • Updated Theme functions to use correct time from metadata for Photos in Metadata section on Image Pages (without added timezone of server).
    • Reworked settings for additional pages in Main Footer menu.
    • Option to display RSS Links in Footer.
    • Option to display Social Media Links in Footer (if linked in “Links and Services” section of Paradigm Options).
    • Option to remove Tags pages from Search Engines Index by adding “noindex, follow” to Head section.
    • Option to remove Archive pages from Search Engines Index by adding “noindex, follow” to Head section.
    • Moved News Archive links before Gallery links in Archive.
    • Some fixes in Breadcrumbs section (typos, leftover code).
    • Added missing icon for H1 in News/News categories pages
    • Enabled automatic generation of Description meta-tags from sanitized Custom Data for Pages.
    • Other clean-up of rules for auto-generating Meta tags: titles, descriptions etc.
    • Reworked auto-generation of Open Graph meta-tags.
    • Reworked auto-generation of Twitter-cards meta-tags.
    • Favorites plugin now works (with Zenphoto 1.6.3), therefore I’ve completely reworked Favorites page.
    edited April 19

Great, you frequently update it. We will update it on our demo. The no indexing of the archive and tags pages I think this should indeed be part of the official html_meta_tags plugin. I will put that on the list therefore.

Enabled automatic generation of Description meta-tags from sanitized Custom Data for Pages.

If I look at the head file I wonder why the theme does what the html_meta_tags plugin actually also does/providees incl OpenGrap and such. As far as I see it does not disable the plugin so you might get things duplicated.

• kuzzzma Member

@acrylian
    Some of it is just legacy features, as original creator added them, so I keep them too, fixing and updating as I find stuff lacking.

To ensure no duplication occurs, in my installation notes I list stuff that users need to disable/enable if they use html_meta_tags or other plugins.
    As far as meta tags go - I've got some ideas for html_meta_tags plugin, will write some suggestions on github, when I get some time.

Okay, I see. You could force disable the plugin, too. But not all meta elements do duplicate as it provides a few more I think.

As far as meta tags go - I've got some ideas for html_meta_tags plugin, will write some suggestions on github, when I get some time.

Me too ;-) I plan to extend it but some of it will depend on some changes planned for later releases only…

• kuzzzma Member
    edited May 1

PARADIGM ver 1.6

• *MAJOR CODE CLEAN-UP**
    • Fixed Responsive Behaviour throughout for both Fluid and Fixed layout.
    • Added rules for Extra-Large screens (>1900px) for both Fluid and Fixed layout.
    • Reworked all H1-H2 Headers for clean outlines throughout.
    • Removed all BR and HR tags from pages, now all of that is done via CSS.
    • Removed all style=height parameters from Image/Albums Thumbs, now all of that is done via CSS.
    • Added flexible styling to Images on Homepage and in Albums
    • Reworked Images/Albums/News/Pages Details Sections for consistency.
    • All content-zones now have corresponding #ID for ease of CSS styling.
    • Some fixes in Breadcrumbs section (typos, leftover code).
    • All code was cleaned-up, W3.org-validated, checked for typos, stray tags and other inconsistencies.

MAJOR WORK on Theme Options

Paradigm now has more than 100 options, so it had to be done!
    You have to BACKUP all TEXT FIELDS and setup Paradigm from scratch!

• Options were all renamed according to naming rules for Zenphoto themes and plugins.
    • Reworked all Options groupings and settings, to make it easier to set up your website and add new options.
    • Reworked descriptions for Options.

• Cleaned up Contact Form, fixed errors/warnings

• Cleaned up Comment Form, fixed errors/warnings
    • Fixed missing Page indicator for H1 Headers/Head Title tags
    • Added options to display Custom Data for Images/Albums/News/Pages separately
    • Added options to display Rating for News/Pages
    • Added options to display Hitcounter for News/Pages
    • Added option to display Download button for fullsize Images
    • Added Links to more RSS feeds in Footer/Head [work in progress]

Support for Related Items plugin:

• Options to control behaviour for Related Items in Images/Albums/News/Pages separately.
    • Enabled support of Featured Images as thumbs for News and Pages for Related Items.

Extended Featured Images plugin support:

• Option to display Featured Image on a Page
    • Option to choose size of Featured Image displayed on Page or News Article separately (Full or Thumb)

Support for User Login-Out and Register User plugins.

• Login and Register pages clean-up.
    • Options to show User Menu in Footer and Sidebar separately.

(?) Added support for Default Codeblocks plugin [work in progress]

• Three zones for codeblocks setup in Sidebar, 1 in Footer
    • Three zones for codeblocks are setup in details zones for Images/Albums/News/Pages
    • Codeblock zones can be seen on my Demo-site

I don’t recommend using DefaultCodeblocks with Paradigm yet,
    as I feel that I don’t fully understand it’s logic and therefore can’t > implement with consistent and predictable results.

Download here:
    https://www.blog.private-universe.net/web-and-tech/zenphoto-theme-paradigm/
    Demo site with screenshots and theme in action: https://demo.private-universe.net